Monday 16 May 2016

Vault 14 Spring Kit #2 - May 15th


So, to kick off this blog, let's review the Vault 14 Spring Kit.

This was the second one the guys at Vault 14 laid on. It was full, both in terms of space and places, with a fairly good variety of lists.

My own list was Paul Heaver's worlds 2015 winner; Poe, a Stresshog, Gold Squadron Y-Wing with TLT and a Bandit Z-95.

Yes, I'm aware it's awful in current meta and that I'm unimaginative and other insults regarding mental capacity and potential homosexuality.

Game 1 - Lee. 2 Jumpmasters and a Z-95 Binyare Pirate.

How do you even pronounce that? 
So yes, in a meta currently dominated by the Jumpmaster 5000, my first match of the day was against a pair of them.
My opponent was craftier than I gave him credit for; He had a Contracted Scout and Dengar, and wasted no time in using Boba Fett to fly out and cripple Poe's regeneration abilities by stripping R2-D2 from him in the first volley. 
After several exchanges of fire that saw the Y-Wings go down before the limping Poe, the Bandit Squadron and Black Leader found themselves against a pair of Jumpmasters that were stripped of shields and bearing Damage cards, which meant I had at least bloodied the nose of the bounty hunter's before handing them my 100 squad points. 

0/0/1 So far.

Game 2 - Scott. 2 VCX-100s.

I've known Scott for a while now and he's become a good friend. We see each other a lot at tournaments, and while he's a guest writer for a more successful blog (Fishy's Wargaming, go check it out) we never seem to play each other at either casual nights or tournaments. Today was the exception to that rule.
It was good to see two of the VCX-100s in action, even if they're big bastards to fly!
This game, like the last one, didn't start well. The first volley of Plasma Torpedoes from Kanan Jarrus tore the shields from the 'Hog, who's existence I owe to my opponent for the trade of R3-A2, and the second volley of fire from the Lothal Rebel landed 3 critical hits..
Okay, so it's three crits. It's hardly that scary on a 5-hull ship like the Y.
Crit 1 - Direct Hit! Okay so that was bad.
Crit 2 - Direct Hit! Okay so that was VERY bad... And...
Crit 3. Doesn't matter. It's dead. 

After being crippled by 26 points against two of these surprisingly agile hulks, I had to focus fire. Kanan's pilot ability of reducing my attack dice at ranges 1-2 made him the primary target.
Incidentally, we came across a rather interesting dilemma at this point in the game. Poe's pilot ability to flip a Focus to a Hit, set against the VCX-100s Sensor Jammer upgrade. It was determined that dice modification happens as; Opponents modify, then Player modifies. As the Sensor Jammer can flip a Hit to a Focus, Poe could use his ability to flip it back.
Kazan went down, not to the Hero of the resistance, but to the lowly Z-95, a result that caught both myself and my opponent off-guard. After knocking out Poe, it came down the the PS3 Lothal Rebel vs the PS2 Bandit Squadron. This would determine whether I walked away with 52 or 76 points. And at range 2, landing one final hit on the VCX made sure I got the 76 points. Then the Bandit was smashed across deep space.

0/0/2.

Game 3 - Keiran. Prince Xizor's Virago StarViper, N'Dru Suhlak and 2 Binyare Pirates.
I didn't see this going well when I saw N'dru heading towards Poe. Cluster missiles saw to Poe in a matter of one round, and the Hog fell to combined fire in the next round. The Goldie and the Bandit had a hard time catching up, especially with Xizor passing off hits to his subordinates.
100/0 whitewash.

0/0/3.

Game 4 - Rafal. Rear Admiral Chiraneau and the Inquisitor. 
By all accounts, Rafal won a Store championship in Hull recently, and was as surprised as I was to find himself at the bottom of the pack facing me. Chiraneau managed to get within range 1 of the Y-wings, rendering the TLTs useless. It was simply a matter of staying at range 1 and pound me with 4 dice. 

0/0/4.

The one thing I will take away from all this; I need to fly more. A lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment